Coleslaw with Tempeh Bacon
& Cashew Mayo
Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Serves: 4
For the tempeh bacon:
- 1 (360-g) pack tempeh
- 1/4 cup liquid aminos (or reduced-sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or honey; add more or less depending on preference)
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 2 teaspoons paprika (1 tablespoon if not using liquid smoke)
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 tablespoon Laurin 100% CocoMCT oil
For the cashew mayo:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, then drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard (or 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard)
- Salt to taste
For the coleslaw:
- 4 cups lettuce
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- Steam the tempeh for 10 minutes on each side. While waiting, whisk together the liquid aminos, maple syrup, liquid smoke (if using), paprika, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Once the tempeh is cool enough to handle, cut it into thin slices and place on a large glass container or sealable plastic bag. Add the marinade, then turn or shake until the tempeh is evenly coated. Let marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Warm Laurin 100% CocoMCT oil on a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the tempeh and cook for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Make the cashew mayo by blending the cashews, water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, ground mustard, and salt until smooth. Add more water to thin if necessary.
- To serve, divide the lettuce, cabbage, carrots, tempeh bacon, and cashew mayo among 4 bowls. Enjoy!